Hello friends, in my previous article, I talked a lot about being authentic and staying real. It is time for me to do what I preach. I’ve spent one good hour if not more going around thinking how can I do that. Then I turned at my action board and there was one important task scribbled as ‘review my goals’.
Every 1st week of January for the last 3 years I have summarised my accomplishments for the previous year. Also, I outlined a bunch of targets to meet for the upcoming year. 2017 was no different. But there is a problem with this approach. It’s great for about 2-3 weeks but then targets drift away. If there is nothing to hold me accountable, I will soon start to forget. 1 year for goals is a long period of time and some people suggest I should aim for 3 – 6 months periods instead.
No matter the length of time, I try to break a macro goal to micro. Then act on it weekly. There is a problem here, everyday matters tend to get in the way. Goals change a bit.
I was always quite good at writing my targets down and outlining the plan of action. I was terrible at holding myself accountable and actually completing. It’s not all bad – I succeed at more or less 40-50% of my goals, which is ok. But I would like to see my success rate grow to 80-90%, maybe even 100%.
Transparency is the way I decided to go. I will be sharing more in the coming weeks. There are certain aspects which I might not be legally allowed to share. Due to my employer constraints like salary or secrets of the trade.
Main Focus & Other important Areas
My main focus is my career today. As you already know I have recently moved from Duck & Waffle to Sushi Samba. This is a big change. I am the new guy there and need to show what I am capable of. I will not undermine any of my colleagues, I will strive to help improve our operation on daily basis. Win Win is what I am after. I can grow more as a person as I welcome the challenge.
Then I must improve my networking, I have been trying to achieve all the work by myself. That’s a big mistake. If I want to have my own business one day, I must learn to network well and connect with as many likely minded people.
“You are the average of the five people you spend the most time with.”
Luckily I am surrounded by a lot of smart people at work. I need to surround myself with inspiring and smart people off work as well. I must start networking and meeting different people.
Learning will be the cornerstone of my improvement. Then I must create a list of books that I am interested in to read. I have not been doing enough reading recently.
I must better myself at social media of which I know little at the moment.
Finally, management is something I am pretty good at but I must keep on learning to ensure I grow to be a better leader.
So here is my 6 months plan
- Give 100% when at work at all times, engage with my team.
- Propose and execute at least 3 meaningful changes which will help team work better.
- Manage better and help improve the success of the company.
- Focus on delivering excellence to all our guests, engage with as many as possible.
- Create and work on a list of actions which I took that helped improve financial, operational or quality output.
- Attend at least 3-4 events to network.
- Check upcoming events for the next 2 weeks ahead on Eventbrite & Meetup.
- Complete 2 courses – Social Media Course, Instagram Course
Books to Read
- Cashvertising Drew Eric Whitman
- Crush It! Gary Vaynerchuk
- Thank You Economy Gary Vaynerchuk
- Jab Jab Jab Right Hook Gary Vaynerchuk
- #AskGaryVee Gary Vaynerchuk
- To be expanded on
- Read 2 books
- Use at least 3 new strategies to help me grow as a manager
- Engage daily for 30 minutes on each social media platform.
- Post once daily on each platform.
- Expand my goals list as I learn through the course
- Gain 3000 unique followers on each social media platform
Find a Mentor
- Online presence mentor
- Grow my email list to 100
- Have 1000 youtube views
- Read/Study for 30-60 minutes daily
- Create for 30-60 minutes daily
- Exercise for 30 – 45 minutes 3 times per week
- 30-45 minutes for Social Media – Twitter, Facebook & Instagram, Snapchat (LinkedIn?)
This should take about 4 hours every day. Of course, there will be days when I am scheduled to work for 12 hours. I will only be able to do so much on those days. But then I will do more work on my days off, which should even out my weekly goals.
This will be challenging and I may adjust my goals as the time goes.
Monthly Updates to Follow
I will revisit this blog post in my monthly updates to see how I am doing to achieve these goals. There are other areas that are important to me. But I feel like for now, these are the ones I am doing the worst and need to work on most.
If I will do well, I will add extra goals. Some of which I have interest for but I don’t feel like I have enough time at the moment.
- Travel 2-3 times before October
- Attend weekly Toastmasters to become a better speaker
- 4 Challenges – Sky Diving, Bungee Jumping and 2x more?